.

Monday, February 18, 2019

Social Work :: Graduate College Admissions Essays

Social Work It was the shrill ringing of my pager that jarred me pop of the deep sleep I had been enjoying. The clock beside my bed read 330 as I fumbled around in the dark, reaching for the continual pager. As I saw the code that flashed on its tiny screen, my lovingness sank. I thought of the sleet that had been falling as I had fall asleep a few hours before, and of the warmth of my cozy bed. The very blend thing I wanted to do at that moment was to suffer up and go out in the cold. Unfortunately, there was little pick I was the only Crisis Companion available during the week between Christmas and parvenue Year. Within a few minutes, I was dressed and en driveway to the hospital to pick up a woman and her small children, on the run from an abusive husband, and take them to our shelter several miles out of town. As both a hotline operator and Crisis Companion for a fellowship geological formation called Avalon, I had been trained to be an active listener, crisis counse lor, and advocate for survivors of domestic forcefulness and sexual assault. I thought of all the training I had received, as well as the passion which had driven and encouraged my work with Avalon, as I neared the emergency room of the hospital and prepared to meet my newest clients. any 15 seconds a woman is battered. 1 in 3 women and 1 in 10 men will be sexually assaulted during their lifetimes. 4 women in the United States are killed every day by their husbands or male partners. When I first heard these statistics in a Womens Studies lean my Freshman year, I was astounded and thoroughly incensed. The more(prenominal) I read, the more committed I became to doing something which would bring around a positive permute for survivors of sexual assault and domestic violence. It was then that I learned about and began working with Avalon, which was active on campus and in the community. Through its outreach programs, Avalon is dedicated to educating the community about the issue s of sexual assault and domestic violence. It also offers a shelter, as well as advocacy and education, to survivors and their families. As a volunteer for Avalon I have answered a crisis hotline, acted as a court advocate, helped clients apply for regimen stamps, and been on call in the hospital to work with women and children.

No comments:

Post a Comment